Take a look at our learning last week:
This week, we continued to focus on common chunks that we see in words. We focused on words with ED endings. ED typically makes three different sounds when it is at the end of a word. We worked on sorting words as we listened to the sounds the ED made.
The kids are noticing our H Brothers, R Sisters, and ED endings in their books and all over the classroom
We spent this week revising and editing our small moment stories. Each student had the chance to choose a favorite piece they had been working on and then we worked to make it even better. We added a cover and some color to our stories as well. We will be celebrating these stories in the coming week!
We continued to work on subtraction strategies, this week. The first graders performed very well with the strategy of:
- Circling the numbers in the story
- Listening to see if the story is subtraction or addition
- Writing the secret code that matches the story (T-P=P or P+P=T)
- Adding the numbers to the equation
- Drawing the math mountain
- Putting the total at the top
- Clapping and counting ON or UP to solve for the missing number
We are in the habit of checking to see if the number we solved for makes sense in the math mountain (the largest number always has to go at the top). If they make a mistake, the math mountain helps them to realize this.